Design Thinking is a design methodology that is used for solving design problems using human-centric approach. It allows to tackle ill-defined and complex user problems and provide creative and effective solutions to it through empathizing with the user. Design thinking process is iterative and basically consists of 5 phases: discovery, definition, ideation, prototyping and testing.
Design Thinking Process Cheat Sheet
- Design process is not linear, it has a parallel and iterative nature. Designer can dive into different phases depending on a situation.
- Use visual and object languages to communicate your ideas.
- Empathize with users to understand their psychological and emotional needs and what is meaningful to them.
- Generate ideas by alternating divergent and convergent thinking.
- Rapid prototyping is a powerful technique that allows to avoid a lot of debates and establish a shared understanding in the team. Use it all the time.